Tuesday 22 April 2014

by Jo Ann Thrasher



Wolf River Methodist Church

Description:

This is the Wolf River Methodist Church.  This is the church Sgt. York attended with his mother in his early days.

Please Click On The Picture Links Above And Below For More Information:



Description:

The Wolf River Methodist Church is a cute little country church. Sgt. Alvin C York is buried in the cemetery. The view from the cemetery takes in green fields, red barns, and beautiful mountains.



About Jo Ann:

I am 45 years old, I have 2 adult sons and one little grandaughter. I am happily married to the love of my life. I have been intrigued with photography for as long as I can remember. I am constantly striving to learn something new and improve my photography. I love doing portraits, macros, and scenic shots. I literally take my camera everywhere I go. I find that the more I learn about photographing my world, the more I learn to "see" the beauty around me.


Email from Jo Ann with further details:

Hello Geordie

Yes you may use the image, and my portrait and info as well.

Yes I attended the school you mention. It is Sgt. Alvin C York Agricultural Institute and is still operating today. It serves grades 9 through 12. I also attended Pall Mall Elementary School for grades Kindergarten through 8th. Sgt. York's grand children attended both of these schools. Some of his grandchildren are quiet a bit older than me and some of them lived out of state. The grandchildren I was familiar with were the children of Tommy & Margaret York. I do not think the elementary school was started by York but it is located adjacent to the property the Sgt. Alvin C York Grist Mill is on. Pall Mall Elementary School was demolished just this past week. Pall Mall was a small school.... Probably around 100 students when I attended there. York Institute (shorter common name) is located in the nearest town(Jamestown)..... about 15 miles away from York's home.

There was also a Bible School built by York. It is located in Pall Mall and was out of operation before I started school. I have visited the ruins. I believe it was a religious school but I do not remember what grades it served.

I grew up knowing some of the York grandchildren, and attending school with them. Sgt. York died 2 years before I was born so I didn't know him. I remember his wife Gracie very well. In her later years she attended another church in Pall Mall, York Chapel Church. I didn't attend there all the time but lived within walking distance and would sometimes attend there. Most of my growing up years were lived out within 1-5 miles of York's home. I am very familiar with The Valley Of Three Forks ( often what the Wolf River/Pall Mall area was called in York's day) and it is a beautiful place as you can see by the picts on my blog. Sgt. York's Grist Mill Park was my summertime playground. I loved to play on the playground and swim in the river there. It was a neat place to grow up.

I also remember Sgt. York's brothers, George and Rob York. I occasionally spent the night with Rob York's granddaughter who lived very close to the York farm. Rob would always eat supper at his son's house so I remember him being him there. George always walked along the road.... if he had a car I don't remember it. He lived in a little house a few miles away and I would often see him sitting on his porch when we went past his little old house on the school bus. I often visit the home which is now a museum and the park when I am back in the area. Sgt. York's son Andy was still working there the last time I was there but he had some health problems and was off. Sgt. York's daughter in law Margaret still works there. She is the dark haired lady with a green shirt on that you can see in my blog post. Sgt York's son Ed still lived in the area the last I knew. He has often visited the church in Jamestown that I attended regularly when we lived there. I am familiar with the York family, having grown up in the same little community. I am not related to them or close friends with them or anything but I know them and they know me.... at least the ones I mentioned. Sgt. York had several kids that I am not familiar with as they didn't live in Pall Mall.

Probably a lot more info than you wanted to hear but it explains my familiarity with the family and the area.

Jo Ann Thrasher




Tennessee - United States

No comments:

Post a Comment